Longparish Village Handbook (1999 edition)
<< Previous Page
Next Page >>

Longparish Church of England Aided Primary School

The first school on this site was built in 1837 by the Rev. Henry Woodcock under the auspices of the National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church. It was a brick and flint building on the current car park, and included a headmaster’s house on site. The two classrooms in the original building were quite small as were the numbers of pupils. The 1851 census shows that of 155 children in the village between 6 and 13 years only 26 attended school. Numbers grew in the 1870s and in 1894 the school was enlarged, as was the infant room in 1898, when 131 children attended.

The old school was demolished in the winter of 1955-1956 and rebuilt in a modern style with large windows overlooking the river, timber cladding and a flat roof. There were still just two classrooms, for the rolls had dropped. In May 1969 Hurstbourne Priors School was closed, and since then the children from there have come by bus to Longparish School. A temporary classroom was added, and when the mid 1960s bulge went through, a second one in 1973. In 1997 a permanent addition was built on the front of the school to provide offices, a waiting area, a medical room, and a library, funded mainly by the sponsors of John Ellicock’s great walk from the Needles to Cape Wrath, and also by parents’ fundraising and grants from the DfE and Diocese. The school is now filled to capacity with over 80 children.

The school has a Governing Body which includes the Rector, the Head, a teacher, a parent, governors appointed respectively by the County Council and Parish Council, and 6 foundation governors nominated by the Parochial Church Council and appointed by the Diocese. Hampshire Education Authority provides funding for running the school, but the building is owned and partly maintained by the Church. The Governors have wide powers to appoint staff, supervise the running of the school, ensure the National Curriculum is delivered, and oversee finances.

The school is keen to maintain strong links with the community, and welcomes those who are willing to share their experience and expertise with the children. Each month in term time senior citizens are invited to have lunch at school for a very modest charge, and the resulting friendships between old and young are much valued.

Contact and Search

Legal

Menu design based on one copyright © Stu Nicholls

This site uses CSS. To see it at its best, you should use a browser that understands them. See, for example, www.mozilla.com