Longparish Village Handbook (1999 edition)
<< Previous Page
Next Page >>

Village Hall

The Village Hall was built on church land in 1910 as a church hall. By the early 1960s it was badly in need of renovation, and so in 1964 the Church leased it to the Parish Council. This lease was renewed for 21 years in 1996. Grants were obtained and the kitchen and cloakrooms were added. In 1976 the Longparish Sports and Social Club built a clubhouse on to the rear, which was demolished in 1997 after the club disbanded due to lack of village support and problems with the building, as the extension had deteriorated beyond repair. Now in 1999, once again a major renovation is needed, and funds must be raised to give us a hall fit for the new millenium. The Hall is run by the Village Hall Committee, a group of devoted volunteers. The financial administration is done by Middleton Estate Office.


There are eight allotments in the field opposite the cricket field, which are rented from Middleton Estate by the Parish Council and organised by the holders. Apply to the Secretary in the Directory section.

Open gardens

White Windows (Barry and Jane Sterndale-Bennett). This small garden beautifully planted with unusual hardy plants, chosen for the interest of both flower and leaf, is open several times a year. Details are in the annual National Gardens Scheme yellow book.

Longmead House (John and Wendy Ellicock). The garden is usually open one day in the summer. It is a large organic garden with herbaceous borders, wildlife ponds, a wildflower meadow and an extensive vegetable garden.

Contact and Search


Menu design based on one copyright © Stu Nicholls

This site uses CSS. To see it at its best, you should use a browser that understands them. See, for example, www.mozilla.com