Longparish Village Handbook (1999 edition)
<< Previous Page
Next Page >>

Introduction

Longparish is a village of 5,331 acres, lying along the river Test, about 4 miles equidistant from Andover and Whitchurch, and about 10 miles north of Winchester.

The name, Longparish, was not generally used until the mid-sixteenth century, but it is appropriate since the village is about 3 miles long by road and includes several small settlements:

  • across the A303 are Gavelacre, once a manor house, Longparish Station, and Balls Cottages;

  • on the A303 are the garage and Little Chef in the area once known as Cuthedgend or Cottage End, or Cutty;

  • Forton, lying off the main road, contains many of the older cottages;

  • Middleton, which includes the Church, the school, the village hall, as well as Middleton House, where the Lords of the Manor lived;

  • West Aston, which includes North Acre, a small estate of about 80 houses where the first Council houses were built in 1936;

  • East Aston with Longparish House and Upper Mill.

There are also outlying farmhouses, some now just residential:

  • Fox Farm to the north where the parish boundary crosses the B3400 to Harewood Peak,

  • Budgett Farm, opposite Apsley on the B3400,

  • Firgo Farm near the A34 to the east,

  • Larkwhistle, Vale, Owls Lodge and Southside Farms just along the south side of the Test, on the back road known as Nuns’ Walk.

The parish also contains most of Harewood Forest, which was a Saxon royal hunting forest

Contact and Search

Legal

Menu design based on one copyright © Stu Nicholls

This site uses CSS. To see it at its best, you should use a browser that understands them. See, for example, www.mozilla.com